Many thanks to Aliya and BringToTheBoil for nominating me for this. It’s really nice to think that people are actually reading my blog – I don’t ever expect it to be nominated for any kind of award!
I have to admit, I thought quite hard about this – Not the nomination, as I’ve said, I really appreciate this, but the concept in general. Primarily, it felt a little like a blog spam, ‘pyramid scheme’ or chain letter, which in principle I don’t approve of. Much of this is down to the self-satisfying nature of the system, praying on those ‘down stream’ to rake in cash for the minority of grabbers, sitting at the top. However, it quickly dawned on me that this was in fact an excellent way of promoting ‘small bloggers’ and getting them recognised by a much wider audience. Why wouldn’t anyone support this? After all, each blogger puts in a lot of hard work and effort to promote something which they feel passionate about – surely it’s worth a few minutes of time to support this?
Of course, having committed to this, I now have more challenges – I need to cherry pick 11 blogs from the hundreds that I read on a regular basis. There are so many good sites out there, but I’m using this as an opportunity to seek out sites which are both new and inspiring to me – I hope you like my nominations! And I have to come up with answers to those 11 probing questions – and me living such a dull life… So here I go.
Liebster Award Rules and Requirements
- Post eleven facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions the tagger has set for you and create eleven questions for people you’ve nominated.
- Choose eleven people (with fewer than 200 followers) to give this award to and link them in your post.
- Go to their page and tell them.
- Remember, no tag backs.
Here are eleven facts about me:
- I get bored really easily and need new things to keep me entertained
- I love solving problems, but really enjoy carrying out all of the work. More of a ‘detective’ than a ‘policeman’
- I really enjoy playing golf, even though I’m not that good
- I consider myself to be a true Yorkshireman, through & through (despite spending 18 years living in Suffolk)
- I hate fish, eggs & offal
- I’ve got a really bad memory. If I don’t write it down, it will be forgotten tomorrow
- I enjoy gardening. I grow lots of organic vegetables, which is very complementary to my joy of cooking
- I took up Genealogy shortly after my father died, and have traced some of my family tree back to the early 1600’s!
- I’d love to play the piano or guitar, but have absolutely no musical ability
- May favourite place to visit is Italy – the people are wonderful, there’s great architecture and the food is amazing. Learning Italian is another thing on my list of things to do so I can visit more often!
- I like a nice glass (or bottle) of wine and have a passion for good real ale
The questions I was asked:
- What is your favourite food? I love curry! We never ate spicy food before I moved away from home. Since then, it’s become a bit of an obsession
- What is your signature dish? That would have to be my Chilli Con Carne. It was my first exploration into spicy cooking – a cheap recipe ‘invented’ whilst at university, cooked in bulk and designed to get me through the week with minimal expense. The quality of ingredients has changed (considerably!) but the essence has remained – real comfort food. This recipe even converted my mother to spicy food!
- What is your best memory? As mentioned, I’ve got a really bad memory – I don’t even remember if I had breakfast this morning!
- What do your dream about most often? Work! It’s horrible. I don’t like leaving problems unsolved, so if I leave the office with unresolved issues I tend to churn these over in my head. The upside is they do tend to get resolved overnight, even if I do lose a lot of sleep!
- Who is your embarrassing celebrity crush? Now that’s one I’m not going to admit to in public!
- What is your favourite word and why? Wow – English is such a wonderful and diverse language, it has some amazing words, but I don’t think I have a favourite. I would like to be seen as a leggiadrous deipnosophist, although in fact I think I’m more likely to be seen as a verecund gradgrind (oh no, my spellcheck has just started venting steam….)
- Give us a foodie tip Lots of good tips for food, such as it’s always worth investing in the best quality ingredients, but as baking bread is my latest interest – the wetter the better, the longer the better. More liquid and a longer rising/proving time give you a much better quality of loaf
- Give us a travel tip I have a 7 year old daughter & travelling abroad can be quite a drag. On our next trip to Italy we’re seriously considering travelling by train, rather than flying, even though it will take longer.Our mainline station is only 4 miles away. 2 changes of train, an overnight sleeper, a trip through the alps. Much more convenient and relaxing, more quality time to enjoy the journey and the company, and no more expensive – the travelling becomes part of the holiday!
- Do you have any annoying habits? I bite my nails. I can’t help myself. I’ve tried – I even managed to be ‘bite free’ for 3 months earlier in the year, but it’s an unconscious reaction to stress…
- Recommend a very obscure, but interesting website Check out The Chilli King – everything you ever wanted to know about the humble chilli. One of my favourites – I’ve been following him for a few years now
- What is the most interesting or bizarre statistic you have ever heard? Probably the best ‘keep fit’ fact for the office – banging your head against a wall burns 150 calories an hour!
The questions for my nominees:
I’m going to target new foodie blogs, so my questions relate are inevitably foodie related:
- What dish do you cook when you need ‘comfort food’ at the end of a long day?
- What kitchen gadget couldn’t you live without?
- Do you have a favourite herb/spice you like to cook with?
- What is your favourite cookery book?
- Why did you start blogging about food?
- What menu would you cook for a romantic meal for 2?
- Which celebrities would you invite to a dinner party, and why?
- What’s your favourite takeaway food?
- What did you have for Christmas dinner?
- What’s your opinion of vegetarian food?
- What would be your favourite sandwich?
And finally….. my nominees:
…in no particular order…