This is a variation of an old family recipe that makes excellent use of all of those ripe tomatoes at this time of the year.
A really simple and frugal dish that makes the most of one of my seasonal favourites.
- 100g Pancetta, chopped
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- a little Dried Oregano
- Handful of Parsley, chopped
- 3 stale Granary Rolls
- 800g Ripe Tomatoes, sliced
- Gently fry off the pancetta until just starting to colour, then add the onion, garlic, oregano and a pinch of salt. Sweat until softened
- Blitz the bread and parsley in a food processor until fine, then throw into the pancetta mix. Mix well and fry for a couple of minutes
- In a large pyrex dish, place ⅔ of the breadcrumb mix and gently press down
- Layer the tomatoes on top and season with a little salt & pepper
- Cover with the remaining breadcrumb mix, then bake (uncovered) for 60 minutes at 170oC Fan
- Serve with fresh green vegetables