It’s all very well making meringues and macarons – but you do end up with lots of egg yolks. Of course these can make a great rich custard or ice cream, but if you want to try something different how about making a fruit curd?
I’ve made a great lemon curd before, but by using only the yolks, this recipe gives a really rich effect. Replace the lemon with orange, lime, berries, or whatever fruit takes your fancy!
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 100g Castor Sugar
- 45g Butter
- zest & juice of 2-3 lemons
- ½ tsp Cornflour
- Set up a bowl above a pan of gently boiling water – make sure the bottom of the bowl is above the level of the water
- In the bowl add all of the ingredients and start to whisk well
- After 10-15 minutes the mixture will have thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon and appear paler in colour
- Remove from the heat and either pour into a small sterilised jar or allow to cool and refrigerate