I’ve been looking for an alternative ‘filler’ recipe for ages, and was never a big fan of polena before I came across this. It’s a great recipe and very versitile – an excellent accompaniment for Italian dishes. If you want a creamy sophisticated filler, give this a go.
Beware – this can be volcanic when the polenta is added. The volume of liquid and cooking time will depend upon the type of polenta that you use. Great with red onions instead of the leeks, and if you want, leave out the chilli.
Cooking Time – approx 20 minutes
- 1 oz Butter
- 2 Leeks, finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, sliced
- small bunch of fresh Thyme
- 1 ltr Vegetable Stock
- 200g Polenta (1 minute/quick cook)
- 150g Parmesan, grated
- 125ml Double Cream
- Black Pepper to taste
- Saute the leeks, garlic, chilli and thyme in the butter until the leeks are soft
- Add the stock & bring to the boil before adding the polenta
- Reduce the heat immediately and srit well until thickened
- Add cream, cheese & black pepper. Stir well and serve