There I was, dreaming of suitable holiday locations, and it came to me in a flash of inspiration – Zanzibar. The island of spice. Perfect. except that with a 2 year old daughter, probably something that’s not going to materialise for a few more years. at least it gives me time to save up…
This recipe uses a good range of curry spices and has obvious influences inspired from Thai cuisine. Dominant flavour comes fom the lime. Leave the chilli seeds in for a more authentic dish.
Cooking Time – approx 45 minutes
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 800g Chicken Breasts, cubed
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 3 Green Chillis, deseeded & chopped
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander Seed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 Green Cardomon Pods
- 2 Limes
- 300 ml Water
- 600 ml Coconut Milk
- Basil or Coriander Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Heat the oil and fry the onions for 2 minutes before adding the garlic, 2 chillis and tomatoes. Cook until onions are soft.
- Grind all the spices and add to the pan with the salt. stir well and cook briefly before adding the chicken. Fry hard for 5 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, water & coconut milk and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Blend remaining chilli, basil/coriander leaves and olive oil to a paste and stir in immediately before serving.
- Serve with Lemon Basmati rice