A great dish for entertaining which takes very little time to prepare. Could be cooked on the hob
Serve with plain rice and fresh vegetables
Cooking Time – approx 45 minutes
- Dried Porcini or Wild Mushrooms
- 500ml Boiling Water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, sliced
- a few sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- Salt & Pepper
- 150ml Madeira
- Soak the dried mushrooms in boiling water for approx 30 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a casserole and fry the onions for a few minutes. Push to one side.
- Sweat the garlic and thyme in te oil for a few seconds, before laying the chicken breasts on top. Season the tops of the breasts with salt & black pepper. Leave for a couple of minutes for the chicken to brown, then turn and cook for another couple of minutes
- Add the madeira and bring to the boil. Cook for 2 minutes before adding the soaked mushrooms and thier liquor. Bring to the boil and cover.
- Transfer to the oven (190oC) and cook for 20-30 minutes. Check seaoning and serve.