Of course purists would say that you can’t have a Beetroot Tarte Tatin. A Tarte Tatin must be made with apples.. However, the principles of the original dish can be applied to a wide range of sweet and savory toppings (bottomings?).
After having limited success with roasted red onions (the tarte was just too dry), I decided to invent a beetroot and chilli version, and I have to say that for a first attempt, it works very well.
Perhaps consider crumbling a little Feta on top before applyinh the pastry?
Serve warm or cold with a salad. Good as a starter, lunch or main course.
Cooking Time – approx ## minutes
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- some Water (say 200ml)
- 1/2 oz Butter
- 1/2 Red Chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 6-10 small Beetroots, washed
- Puff Pastry, rolled to the size of the pan
- Start by cooking the Beetroot – microwave in their skins, in a covered Pyrex for 5 minutes, then clean the purple splash marks off the microwave before it dries!
- Top and tail the beetroot and under a running tap, gently rub/scape off the skins with a knife and dice.
- In a small ovenproof omlette pan, add the sugar and water and bring to a rolling boil. Watch carefully as the caramel develops – do not burn and do not stir! When you have a mid-chestnutty brown colour, reduce the heat and add the butter, chilli, lemon juice and balsamic.
- Stir well and add the beetroot. Cook over a medium heat until the liquid released y the beetroot reduces to form a thick syrup. Check seasoning – remove pan from heat.
- Ensure that the beetroot mixture is evenly spread cross the base of the pan and place the pastry on top. Prick 5-6 times to allow air to escape whilst cooking.
- Place pan in a preheated over (190oC) for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden.
- Remove from oven and run a knife around the pastry to ensure it isn’t sticking. Shake the pan slightly.
- Place a large plate over the top of the pan and invert – if all goes well, the tarte should fall out on to the plate. If not, you’ll end up with scaling beetroot syrup up your arm – beware!