After last nights indulgences with the Creole Mushroom and Sausage Pasta, I felt that something a little more healthy was in order. Still working on my theme of cuisine influenced by southern USA, this bean recipe is full of flavour yet is about as healthy as I get. Serve with a Greek yoghurt and a nice fresh salad. Alternatively, if this all too much for you, serve with some tortilla chips or use to stuff some taco shells.
Cooking Time – approx 30 minutes
- 2-3 medium Potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 medium Onions, chopped
- 1 Green Chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- sprinkling of Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 Red Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Green Pepper, diced
- 1 tin Kidney Beans, drained & rinsed
- Boling Water
- a few splashes of Tabasco Sauce
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 2-3 Spring Onions, finely chopped
- Microwave the potatoes in their skins until cooked. Set aside to cool
- Fry off the onion in the oil for a couple of minutes. Add the chilli, garlic and cajun seasoning and continue to cook through until the onion is soft
- Add the peppers and stir in. Cook for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, chop the potatoes into cubes then stir into the onion mix.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes of so, stirring regularly.
- Tip half of the beans into the pan and stir well, and with the remaining beans left in the can, top up the can to 3/4 full with hot/boiling water.
- With a hand blender, blitz the beans and water until smoothish and poor into the pan. Add a splash of tabasco and some freshly ground black pepper and stir well. Cover and leave to sook gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped spring onions, and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Serve with some fresh greek yoghurt and a green salad.